I like to use Cygwin for having a bash shell on a windows machine. In combination with Console2 you have a powerful command-line tool for windows. I’d like to describe how to install Cygwin and Console2 under windows 7 (I think this instruction works on Windows XP, too) and how to embed Cygwin in Console2. I used for Cygwin version 1.7.17-1 and for Console2 version 2.00b148-Beta_32bit.
- Download setup.exe.
- Double click on setup.exe starts the installation.
- Follow the set up instruction. As installation location I use c:\cygwin.
- Go to c:\cygwin and run Cygwin.bat for setting up Cygwin user home etc.
- Download zip file.
- Unzip it into installation location.
- Start Console2 with a double click on Console2.exe.
How to embed Cygwin in Console2
- Open Console2.
- Go to Edit -> Settings.
- Go to Tab
- In field title insert for example bash. It is the name of the first tab in Console2.
- In field Shell you have to insert C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe –login -i (Don’t forget c:\cygwin is your installation folder).
- In field Startup dir you can insert C:\cygwin\home\user.name. This folder is used at every Console2 start.